Student Funding

Student advisor speaks with a student

Funding Explained

For most students studying in Scotland the Scottish Government covers the cost of tuition fees for full-time FE and HE courses in College, please refer to the Fees section for additional information. In addition, you can also receive help with the cost of studying, including living and travel costs, course materials and childcare. What you’re entitled to will depend on:

  • Where you live, i.e. your nationality and residency status.
  • Your course level, if it's above or below HNC level, full or part-time.
  • Your age at the start date of the course.
  • Your personal circumstances, e.g. your income or spouse/parents’ income, marital status, number of dependents.

Some elements of funding are based on the household income. If you’re under 25, available income is usually based on your parents’ income unless you meet the criteria as being "self supporting" according to the Scottish Funding Council Policy. FE students under 18 can be assessed for travel and course materials regardless of household income levels, fill out the online bursary/EMA form and we will do the rest.

  1. Full Time Courses below HNC level are generally Levels 1 to 6 on The Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF). eg. NQ, NC, Access courses. For students under 18 years old at the start date of the course please see the Educational Maintenance Allowance section for more information. Students 18 and over at this level are funded through the FE Bursary. 
  2. Full Time Courses HNC or above is Level 7 to 10 and is usually funded by SAAS
  3. Part Time courses at either level please see the Part Time Funding section for more information.

You need to make a new funding application for every year you're at College.

Your funding application will be assessed and you'll be issued with an award letter by email indicating your award and your payment dates. 

If you leave a HNC/D course, you should let SAAS know immediately so they can stop your payments.

Further Information

  • All 5 to 21-year-olds resident in Scotland are eligible for Young Persons' Free Bus Travel, using a National Entitlement Card with the free bus travel product on it. Without this, you will be unable to travel for free on bus services in Scotland.
  • Our Money Management ezine has lots of helpful information on planning your finances while studying at City. 
  • The Scottish Government have created a website, Student Information Scotland, which has information on all aspects of student funding in Scotland. It also has a useful budgeting tool.
  • Read our Funding FAQs. and our handy FE Funding Guide for more information
  • SAAS funding applications will be open from 03 April 2024 - (HNC/HND/Degree)
  • College Bursary/EMA applications will be open from 22nd April 2024 and applicants with an offer will be sent a link to apply for college funding. (NC/NQ/Access/City and Guilds)
  • To support your application we will require evidence to be uploaded, this Documents Guide details some of the paperwork that may need to be uploaded.

AccessAble Information

AccessAble gives you the detailed information you need to work out if a place is accessible to you.  The Detailed Accessibility Guides tell you all about a venue's access.

BSL Guide to Funding.

Follow our Advisors on social media

Facebook logo on a purple backgroundTwitter logo on a purple backgroundYouTube logo on a purple backgroundInstagram logo on a purple background